He may be known as the Millennial Dentist, thanks to his dental podcast of the same name, but don’t expect Dr. Sully Sullivan to fit into the stereotype of being entitled or unmotivated. In fact, he’s quite the opposite and has gained notoriety in the dental profession as a dental practice owner, speaker, lecturer and author. Today, as co-owner of a family dental practice in Brentwood, Tennessee, where he works alongside his father, this fifth-generation dentist is making it his priority to work smarter, not harder. And Dr. Sullivan is teaching other young millennial dentists how to do the same.
After graduating from Tennessee College of Dentistry in 2015, Dr. Sullivan returned to Brentwood. Young and full of fresh ideas, he shared his vision for investing in both education and technology to ensure the practice remained relevant. This was accomplished through taking advanced educational courses on adult orthodontics, soft tissue grafting, dental implants, third molar extractions and obstructive sleep apnea, and becoming fluent in CBCT, CAD/CAM and practice management. Within 24 months of adopting these treatments and technologies, practice revenue nearly doubled.
Its my ultimate goal that through the podcast I started, through speaking engagements, and through one on one conversations over a drink that I can help my generation and those to come get out of the gate fast and never stop running.
This Practice Passion VLOG episode provides a sneak peek of Dr. Sullivan’s immersive teaching style and highlights his unique ability to inspire and motivate other dentists who are seeking more from clinical practice. Watch the complete episode to learn more about Dr. Sullivan’s philosophies, including:
- The importance of writing down your goals, crossing them off, and reflecting on past accomplishments to measure growth.
- How the mentality of “Work Harder, Not Smarter” plays out in everyday situations.
- Investment in digital technology for practice growth.
- Tools for making the jump from clinician to business owner.
- How relationships, with both colleagues and patients, are vital to success.
- The significance of growing a practice based off relationships vs volume and production.
- Clarity in your work; creating a community/environment that are a good investment of your time and money and deliver personal fulfillment and satisfaction.
- Discover your purpose now and the willingness to be ready for change.
- How you control the trajectory of your career through the choices you make today.
YOUR MINDSET IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN HOLD YOU BACK
Thanks to a forward-thinking approach and enthusiasm for embracing change, Dr. Sullivan has found an engaged audience in young dentists. He believes strongly that your mindset is the only thing that can hold you back.
This episode of the Practice Passion VLOG is sponsored by Dentsply Sirona, a company that, like Dr. Sullivan, continues to inspire dentists to reach their full potential—equipping them with the technology and tools needed to do so.